Getting into shape can be complicated if you are not sure which foods to choose and which you should avoid. Also, with the vast array of fast foods that are ever-increasing in availability, it can be tricky to bind together the willpower to stick to a healthy eating plan.
This article has been designed to provide you with a list of healthy foods that will keep your body in tip-top condition and will give you some ideas on what to make for an antioxidant-rich and fiber full dinner to share with the family this evening.
The great thing about this list is that it contains an example of one of the most healthy vegetables, one of the most healthy fruits and one of the most healthy fish you can get your hands on. After all, variety is the spice of life and this mix will help you to add healthier options to a number of different meals.
Do you ever have that one awkward ingredient in your fridge that you don’t really know what to do with? That ingredient usually stays in the fridge until you get fed up of looking at it and it eventually ends up in the trash. The same often happens when you compile a list of healthy foods ingredients, it all looks great on paper, but standing in the kitchen and actually turning a smorgasbord of different fish and vegetables into a palatable meal that everyone will enjoy is another matter altogether. That is why this list has been organized with some awesome recipe ideas attached so that you can start to introduce these vitamin rich ingredients into meals that will rock your family’s world.
And that is not all, as not only will this list provide you with some great dinner ideas for each food, but it will also give you some ideas for some smoothie and breakfast combinations that will make getting superfoods into your diet as easy as one, two, three.
Ready to kick that vitamin boost into first gear? Then let’s get started!
Let’s start the bidding off with something that we all love and that is super easy to prepare – salmon. Salmon is always the first choice in my house for weeknight fish dinners and goes down a treat with everyone.
Not only is salmon mighty tasty, but it is also packed full of goodness.
- It contains Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential fats that you must intake from food as your body cannot create them.
- It is rich in protein.
- It is also a good source of B vitamins such as vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, and B12. These vitamins are ideal for energy production and maintaining a healthy heart and brain.
There are so many things you can do with salmon that make it a superb treat for dinner. But here is a list of a couple of recipes that I am sure will be a hit with the family this evening. These recipes will aid you in getting the most out of this super healthy fish and will help you to team it together with other ingredients that will be nothing but beneficial for the family.
- Garlic and herb buttery baked salmon.
- Spinach stuffed salmon with garlic sauce.
- Honey and lime wrapped salmon.
Moving on to a vegetable now it is time for kale to take the limelight. If you are looking to pack in the antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, then there is no better way to do so than by adding some fresh leaves of kale to your dinner.
Kale is a top of the range veggie for a number of reasons, take a look at just some of them below.
- Just a small portion of kale is loaded with impressive amounts of vitamins C, A, B6, and K1 making it one of the most nutrient dense vegetables you can eat!
- Kale is low in calories and contains large quantities of potassium, magnesium, and other minerals.
Kale is oh so good for you, but when it is not prepared properly it can be slightly bitter to taste. That is why you should take a look at the following kale recipes that help to bring out the flavor in kale and turn it into a meal that even the kids will get excited for. There has never been an easier way for you to get this nutrient dense vegetable into your diet!
- Roasted sweet potato kale salad.
- Red lentil soup with kale and quinoa side salad.
- Kale pesto (swap out the basil for kale!)
It is time to give the fruit a turn and we have come to one of the most antioxidant rich and nutrient packed fruits out there – blueberries.
Blueberries are awesome because not only are they full to the brim of all the goodness we need, but if you pick up a pack that has been ripened naturally or sourced locally, you will find that they are super sweet, juicy, and tasty.
Now, we all know that blueberries are good for us, but just why are they so good? Take a look at this handy list of reasons below:
- They have high levels of antioxidants and antioxidant substances such as anthocyanins which help to increase the level of antioxidants in your blood.
- Studies have shown that blueberries are also great for improving your memory, lowering your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- They are easy to pop in smoothies if you have a decent blender like the one’s from this site.
There are so many reasons why blueberries are a popular fruit in my house. Here are some of the all time favorite recipes that keep my family chowing down on the blueberries week in and week out.
- Strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry smoothie with plain, low fat Greek yogurt (or unsweetened almond or coconut for a slightly lighter option).
- Blueberry, banana, and almond yogurt overnight oats.
- Roast lamb with blueberry dip.