Having a clear face and nice skin is the imperative of all the ladies who want to look their best and attract attention wherever they go. However, sometimes acne keep appearing no matter what we do. It is really important to find the right method to care for your skin because it is the only way to keep the acne under control to a certain extent. Makeup is our savior and we simply don’t know what we would do without it, especially when the breakouts are too visible. Luckily, there are many products that can help the skin that is prone to acne and one of the products that we cannot live without is the foundation.
What is acne prone skin?
Acne prone skin refers to skin that is more liable to acne breakouts and blemishes. People who have such skin are more likely to get pimples and acne usually during puberty which later on starts to diminish. However, women have acne issues even later in life and this skin issue is caused by hormone fluctuations. Having acne appear for the first time after the age of 25 is called Acne Tarda and can be a pretty challenging condition to handle emotionally. They usually appear on the face, but also the back, chest, shoulders, and even neck. Besides being very painful, it can be very stressful at this age. For more details check Makari De Suisse.
Why do some people have acne prone skin?
Our skin produces a natural oil called sebum. When the skin produces excess sebum, the pores of the skin get clogged and it leads to breakouts. Here are the reasons why some people are more prone to acne than others:
- If you have larger pores, your skin is more likely to develop acne.
- If you’re suffering from some kind of hormonal imbalances, you might start noticing acne.
- Overactive oil glands can lead to acne prone skin.
It is not easy to have this type of skin issue, but it is necessary to seek treatment from the dermatologist you trust. Skincare routine is very important and should be consistently followed. It is the only way to help your skin recover quickly after a breakout.
How to care for acne prone skin?
Whether you had acne during puberty or you’re suffering from adult acne, it is a very frustrating issue. Although many women try and hide their breakouts using foundation, it is important to know how to take care of acne prone skin and reduce acne. Here are a few tips to take care of acne prone skin:
- Always wash your face gently because harsh scrubbing can lead to scarring and this may further worsen the situation.
- Choose a cleanser that is specially made for acne prone skin. Most of these cleansers will contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid since this helps to clear acne.
- If you wish to moisturize your skin, pick up a moisturizer that is oil-free and also contains antibacterial elements that do not aggravate acne.
- Never ever touch, squeeze or prick breakouts. This can result in inflammation, scarring, and also lead to further acne breakouts.
- Exfoliate your skin twice a week. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells and unclog the pores. Avoid scrubbing too hard. Do not over-exfoliate.
- Avoid foods that act as acne triggers. These include fried foods, processed foods, and sugary foods.
Now that you know how to care for acne prone skin, let’s find out about the best foundation for acne prone skin so that applying makeup does not aggravate the acne.
Best Foundation for Acne Prone Skin
If you have acne prone skin, you’re bound to be skeptical while applying makeup on your skin. But that doesn’t mean you can’t go use it. You just need the right products to cover up your acne without damaging your skin. The best foundation for acne prone skin would be a product that helps to cover your breakouts as naturally as possible without making it look artificial. It is important to choose a light foundation that won’t clog the pores of your skin. Well, here is a list of things you must remember while choosing the best foundations for acne prone skin:
- No alcohol please– While choosing the best foundation for acne prone skin, always look for the ingredients. Your foundation should not contain SD denatured alcohol since it harms the skin’s protective surface and makes the acne worse.
- Pick a foundation with Salicylic acid– If you’re going to choose a liquid foundation, ensure that it contains a low concentration of salicylic acid since it helps to clear the pores by removing the dead skin cells. Your foundation should be oil-free and be able to give your face a matte finish.
- Check out the formula – Ensure that the formula does not contain mica, alcohol, silicones, and fragrance since these can worsen the acne. You can choose a stick or a cream foundation as it is best suited for acne prone dry skin.
- Go for a powder foundation– Most skin specialists recommend using a powder based foundation since it is better for acne prone skin as compared to a liquid based foundation. A powder-based foundation is most unlikely to clog the pores.
If you are not sure about the foundation you should use, ask your dermatologist about the choice you should make. Also, it is important to use only one, because mixing products can lead to irritation.
How to apply foundation to acne prone skin?
The method of application you use for applying a foundation is very important if your skin is prone to acne. For sensitive skin that has acne, always apply the foundation with a light hand, and be as gentle as possible. If you have large pores, you can use a primer gel that can give a matte effect before applying the foundation. A clear water-based primer is best suited for your skin since it won’t clog the pores and also help to keep it shine-free. Last but not the least, apply only a small amount of foundation or your face can look cakey.
How to remove makeup from acne prone skin?
It is of utmost importance to remove all that makeup before going to bed. Make sure you use a very mild cleanser or micellar water to remove makeup from your skin. Exfoliate it gently once a week. Read more here if you want to know the top exfoliating tips to clear up acne prone skin. The cleanser should have a salicylic acid because it unclogs the pores and decreases pores which ultimately decreases the inflammation and reduces the frequency of acne breakouts.
Be consistent. Skipping any step of your skincare routine will result in worsening the skin. It is necessary to thoroughly remove the makeup every night before going to sleep. You should keep in mind that the only way that the foundation can do its job is if you prepare your skin well before it. Moisturize it well, because even oily skin requires proper moisture. However, keep in mind that you can only use products specifically made for oily skin.
With these tips, great results are guaranteed. Do everything you can to help your skin look better, but remember – sometimes inflammation cannot be reduced and that is fine. Some days are just like that. Keep in mind that even stress can worsen acne, so you will be running around in circles. All in all, it is essential to stick to your care routine, watch your nutrition, exercise, and drink plenty of water, so your make up can look great on you. Only the holistic approach can give the results that you will be satisfied with, so you should always strive to do what you can to improve your overall lifestyle.