Alcohol doesn’t tend to make you see more clearly, but in Denis Duthie’s case a bottle of whisky literally saved his sight.
The 65-year-old Taranaki man suddenly went blind when vodka he had been drinking reacted with his diabetes medication. He regained his sight only after hospital staff administered expensive whisky.
The doctor thought he might have formaldehyde poisoning, which is associated with ingesting methanol and can be treated by administering ethanol – the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages.
There wasn’t enough medical ethanol available in the hospital, so the registrar nipped down to the local bottle store and picked up a bottle of whisky.
“Johnnie Walker Black Label. It was good whisky, yeah.”
They dripped the whisky – which retails for about $55 a bottle – into his stomach through a tube, and hoped for the best.
“I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could open my eyes,” Mr Duthie said.via NZ Herald]